Where we organize our paperwork at home is one thing, how we do it is entirely another matter. Just because I have a great view from my desk doesn’t mean the life’s in-box is manageable. I keep files for:
- Big ticket reference items that last a lifetime (mortgage, insurance, medical, bank, etc)
- Current year files (bills only)
- Home files (A-Z, everything that makes a house work, instructions, contracts, etc)
- Work files (milestones, reviews, awards, etc)
- Family memories (vacations, child, pet, etc)
Insight: The older we get, the more challenging it will be to manage the volume and the harder it is to let go of sentimental items. We must figure this out or get buried.